Experience 3-5 years
Location: Surrounding areas of Southwest Iowa (Bedford, Mount Ayr, Creston, and surrounding areas)
About the company:
Cactus Family Farms encompasses the Pork Division of Cactus Feeders. Cactus Family Farms has hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion.
About the position:
Cactus Family Farms is seeking a Wean to Finish Manager for our Wean to Finish Operations in the surrounding areas of Southwest Iowa.
We are looking for an experienced Wean to Finish Farm Manager with at least 2 years’ experience in building and leading teams, training and development, excellent pork production skills and a strong commitment to animal care and well-being.
The Wean to Finish Manager is responsible for overseeing the production of pigs within a territory, and all elements that affect the well-being and performance of the pigs while growing. Also, responsible for all activities ranging from weaned pig arrival until they are delivered to processing facilities, or other customers.
- Assist in training Wean to Finish Herdspeople
- Oversee the production of Contract Growers
- Monitor and maintain Cactus Family Farm’s Standards of Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Maintain facilities, equipment and machinery in excellent working condition
- Provide technical direction for animal production and transportation
- Perform process monitoring and work in a manner that promotes customer focus, teamwork and continuous improvement
- Conduct regular farm visits and complete all pertinent site related paperwork
- Coordinate, communicate, and manage internal and external pig movements – this includes weaned pigs, feeder pigs, and market hogs
- Accountable for the inventory at each assigned site
- Carry out vaccination schedule and manage the on-site pharmaceutical inventory
- Other tasks as needed to ensure the success and efficiency of Cactus Family Farm’s Wean to Finish Operations
- 2 year’s experience in a management position leading a team
- 3-5 year’s experience in pork production
- A minimum high school diploma.
- Maintain an acceptable MVR determined by Cactus Family Farms.
- Have extensive knowledge in commercial swine production.
- Ability to operate and manage Microsoft Office applications and related computer issues.
- Be willing to be on call 365 days a year, 24 hours per day.
- Hours of work are expected to be longer than subordinate employees.
- Frequent travel will be required to complete job requirements.
- Be able to communicate in English orally and in writing form.
- Be able to maneuver through narrow walk ways and ascend near vertical stairways.
- Be able to spend majority of work related time in confinement livestock facilities.
- Be comfortable working in close proximity to all age categories of swine (Wean to Finish).
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds moving up to 100 yards repeatedly.
- Be able push/pull up to 350 pounds with a cart on wheels when required.
- Be responsive to visible signs and verbal alarms of animals.
- Be able to walk and stand for longs periods of time on different surfaces.
- Be able to climb different types of ladders including feed bin ladders.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- 100% Company Paid Retirement (Employee Stock Ownership Plan)
- Paid Vacation and Sick time
Cactus Family Farms LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.