Career Level Manager
Experience 1+ years
The Wean to Finish Farm Manager is responsible for leading the crew in developing and meeting farm goals by understanding and following the Standard Operating Procedures. This position is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment and is responsible for managing personnel and management systems at the farms and meeting or exceeding production targets.
- Communicates and promotes Smithfield’ core values, mission, and goals to the members of the crew.
- Works with the Production Manager to develop annual farm goals for the farms that will lead to the accomplishment of Smithfield’ goals
- Assures farm biosecurity is maintained
- Responsible for farm and financial performance by marketing animals for maximum return on weight targets and body condition
- Working with the Production Manager, assures the farms are operating at maximum capacity and assist in coordinating animal transport
- Responsible for maintaining animal identification systems
- Trains new employees and assures proper animal husbandry skills are being utilized by all technicians.
- Ensures all staff move through the Training and Certification process as rapidly as possible
- Responsible for maintenance and sanitation of the facilities
- Ensures all equipment, machinery and vehicles are accounted for and properly maintained
- Does any and all tasks as described in the Technician job descriptions
- Follows Smithfield animal welfare policies and procedures including.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes, including but not limited reporting.
- Reads and understands the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety requirements
- High School Diploma or GED with 1+ years of experience as a Farm Manager or Head of Department
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in related field, preferred
- Minimum 1-year experience in swine production required
- History of good production in nursery or finishing environment
- Must have good organization skills
- Must have good leadership skills
- Must have general computer knowledge
- Understand and be responsible for animal production capability and take action to prevent performance loss
- Ability to do hard physical labor
- Good communication skills (Verbal and Written)
- Ability to utilize math to calculate performance for production and financial performance
- Must have accurate record keeping skills and be able to collect, record, and analyze performance data
- Must have complete and thorough knowledge of all bio-security regulations
- Must be able to work an average 45-hour week with an average 9-hour workday, which can vary frequently
- Rotating days off which requires weekend and holiday work
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations such as power outages or personnel shortages
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to push, pull, and drag up to 100 lbs.
- Must understand that Smithfield is a producer of high-quality pork for human consumption and must be supportive of the mission of raising swine for meat
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin)
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, orders, and frequently hot and noisy conditions
- Supervises Technicians and Head of Department (if applicable)
- Responsible for all personnel including by not limited to: hiring, termination, worker safety, performance evaluation, goal reviews, certifications, payroll and staffing levels