Experience Prior experience preferred
About the Company:
Cactus Family Farms encompasses the Pork Division of Cactus Feeders. Cactus Family Farms has hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion.
Surrounding areas of Western, IA to Eastern, NE. (Carrol, IA to Harlan, IA region)
The Wean to Finish Early Pig Care Specialist is responsible for assisting Wean to Finish Managers with starting wean pigs at their sites. Also responsible for providing support to Finishing staff in multiple territories and varied functions.
- Assist Wean to Finish Managers at challenged herd health sites, as directed by, supervisor.
- Ensure pre-pig placement plan is in place prior to pig arrival.
- Ensure facilities and ventilation are working properly.
- Assist with transportation, bio-security, loading, and unloading, and the change implementation with these processes.
- Assist with special projects pertaining to the finishing group.
- Provide coverage for Wean to Finish Manager as directed by supervisor.
- Assist Wean to Finish Manager at sites with caretaker performance issues, as directed by, supervisor.
- Assist with implementation of the policies contained in the Employee Handbook.
- Responsible to perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensure Cactus Family Farms Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and protocols are implemented.
- Maintain facilities, equipment and machinery in excellent working condition.
- Provide technical direction for animal production and transportation.
- Perform process monitoring and work in a manner that promotes customer focus, teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Identify and communicate process improvement opportunities.
- Conduct regular farm visits, complete all pertinent site related paperwork, as determined by supervisor, and follow-up with caretaker.
- Coordinate, communicate, and manage internal and external pig movements. This includes weaned pigs, feeder pigs, and market hogs.
- Carry out vaccination schedule and manage the on-site pharmaceutical inventory as well as administration processes and withdrawal time.
- Responsible for carrying out the bio-security program as presented by company veterinarians. This would include site, vehicle, and personnel programs.
- Maintain a veterinarian/client/patient relationship with the company’s veterinarians and adhere to their guidelines with regards to herd health and improvement. Also, provide necessary assistance to caretakers, regarding, proper medication application to provide best health for herd.
- Check for feed quality.
- Responsible for performing animal euthanasia within Cactus Family Farms SOP requirement.
- Responsible for taking an active role in the safety program, which includes following safety procedures, policies, and continued training.
- Responsible to communicate problems/issues to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to influence the actions and opinions of others in a desired direction; to exhibit judgment in leading others to worthwhile objectives.
- Able to act in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decision making.
- Able to work with people in such manners to build high morale, create positive energy, and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Able to establish and carry out specific courses of action for self and/or groups in an independent manner; willing to commit to long hours of work and personal sacrifice in order to reach goals.
- Able to relate to routine operations in a manner that is consistent with existing solutions to problems; to conform to establish policies and procedures.
- Self-motivated and dedicated to the company.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- A minimum high school diploma.
- Maintain an acceptable MVR determined by Cactus Family Farms.
- Have extensive knowledge in commercial swine production.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and related computer issues.
- Be willing to be on call 365 days a year, 24 hours per day, excluding vacation.
- Hours of work are expected to be longer than subordinate employees.
- Frequent travel will be required to complete job requirements.
- Be able to communicate in English orally and in writing form.
- Be able to maneuver through narrow walk ways and ascend near vertical stairways.
- Be able to spend majority of work related time in confinement livestock facilities.
- Be comfortable working near all age categories of swine (weaned-finish).
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds moving up to 100 yards repeatedly.
- Be able push/pull up to 350 pounds with a cart on wheels when required.
- Be responsive to visible signs and verbal alarms of animals.
- Be able to walk and stand for longs periods of time on different surfaces.
- Be able to climb different types of ladders including feed bin ladders.
- General climate- Both climate-controlled office and environmentally controlled confined livestock facilities.
- During summer months, outside temperatures may exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit for entire scheduled work day.
- During the winter months outside temperatures may fall below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for entire scheduled work day.
- During and after heavy rains or snowfalls the road in and around the farms can become extremely muddy, snow covered, icy and difficult to maneuver on.
- During different job duties inside and/or outside noise can become very loud.
- Will be exposed daily to odors, dusts and gasses that may be uncomfortable or hazardous if proper procedures are not followed.
- Will be exposed to electrical boxes and machinery that are not to be entered or repaired by those who are not certified in basic electrical training and/or lock out tag out.
Benefits and Pay:
- Salaried position with wages based on qualifications, skills, and experience
- Competitive health insurance package – health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 100% paid retirement through Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), paid by Cactus Family Farms.
Cactus Family Farms LLC. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.