Experience 5 years
Olymel is the largest pork and poultry processor in Canada and we are looking for an Unit Manager to join our Western Canada Hog Production Sector. Our goal is “feeding the world together”, to do this we look for employees who work with integrity, respect and trust and have a keen interest in working with animals, as employees are the backbone of our company. Enjoy the benefits of a living in rural Saskatchewan while working with diverse company that offers the opportunity for a full time career within our Management team. Working with and reporting to the Production Manager, the Unit Manager is responsible for the daily management and coordination of all assigned Units to ensure that all company goals and objectives are met.
- Provide direct supervision, training, mentoring, delegation of work and guidance to all barn technician’s
- Provide required administrative duties, including work schedules, documentation, payroll timesheets, evaluations, etc.
- Understand OH&S regulations associated with the Unit and endorse and monitor the use of personal protective equipment, safe work procedures
- Understanding of industry programs such as CQA,ACA,TQA and ensuring units/employees maintain their certification
- Understanding of the Company’s standardized production processes and ensuring processes are followed
- Coordinate maintenance in and outside of barn, including manure management, ventilation, feed systems, penning/slats, and general building maintenance
- Coordinate yard upkeep and snow removal policies
- Ensure incidents at unit are documented and reported
- Respond to alarm call-outs and emergencies at the unit
- Order supplies as required
- Attend scheduled production meetings in Humboldt, SK, when requested
- Delivery of training programs & conducting staff performance reviews
- Ensuring that the production process is cost effective.
- Ensuring that products and services are of high quality & work with other departments for quality controls
- Ensuring that health and safety guidelines are followed
- Responsible to act safely in performing job duties at all times and reporting safety concerns
- Other duties as required
- Certificate/Diploma in Animal Science or Veterinary Technology preferred; CQA, TQA Certified
- 5 years’ experience in a hog barn preferred
- Strong leadership, personnel management and motivational skills
- Adaptability & good time management and the ability to hold effective meetings
- The ability to understand and analyze physical and financial records
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic Computer skills with experience in Excel, Word programs