Job ID 37447
Experience Prior experience preferred
About the Company:
Cactus Family Farms encompasses the Pork Division of Cactus Feeders. Cactus Family Farms has hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, Georgia, and Nebraska. Cactus Feeders, Inc. is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned, with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with
gross revenues of over $1 Billion.
Location: Osceola, IA
The Swine Veterinarian would serve as the system veterinarian for Cactus Family Farms. This position would oversee all aspects of swine health, including biosecurity compliance, antibiotic usage, and vaccine management programs. The veterinarian would report to the Senior Operations Manager and work closely with production management in the development and execution of swine herd health and welfare programs, with additional oversight for animal health and pharmaceutical purchasing programs.
• Oversee all aspects of swine health, including biosecurity compliance, antibiotic usage, and vaccine management programs
• Collaborate with the production team to implement effective health management strategies
• Manage and set the direction for biosecurity technicians
• Lead meetings and consistently communicate with upper management teams regarding health statusupdates
• Draft and approve prescription requisitions and veterinary feed directives for all company pigs
• Spearhead all necessary diagnostic testing and assist farm management in troubleshooting day-to-day challenges
• Oversee annual Pork Quality Assurance training for all employees and facilitate PQA site assessments
• Other duties as assigned
Success Factors in the Position:
• Able to utilize leadership knowledge, skills, and abilities to unite the biosecurity technician team toward a common goal
• Able to effectively work with the production team providing all the necessary information for decision making and follow up of health strategies.
• Able to effectively communicate and collaborate with the company nutrition team in creating veterinary feed directives.
• Able to understand and provide input on new technologies and pharmaceuticals introduced to the swine industry.
• Able to adapt and provide information on improvements in the health program with a positive economic outcome.
• Self-motivated and dedicated to the company
• Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
• Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine Degree and able to obtain the necessary licensing to practice veterinary medicine in all states where Cactus resides.
• Maintain an acceptable MVR determined by Cactus Family Farms.
• Have knowledge and experience in the commercial swine industry.
• Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and related computer skills.
• Be able to communicate in English orally and in written form.
Benefits and Pay:
• Salaried position with compensation based on education, skills, and experience
• Full coverage, affordable benefits package – Health + Dental + Vision
• 100% Employee Owned Company offering a 100% paid retirement plan through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
• Company Paid Life Insurance
Cactus Family Farms LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training