South Dakota State University Department of Animal Science is offering an exciting career opportunity as a Swine Unit Manager. We are looking for a creative and innovative professional to join us in this role which is critical to the success of our teaching, research, and Extension mission. This is a 12 month, full-time, benefit-eligible position. This position is supervised by the Swine Education and Research Facility faculty liaison.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
The Swine Unit Manager, under the supervision of the faculty liaison, will oversee all operations of the facility. Responsibilities include but are not limited to scheduling all matings, farrows, marketing, and feed deliveries for a 150-sow unit and 1200 head wean-to-finish barn. The Manager will supervise a half-time graduate student assistant manager, a full-time Ag Foreman, and multiple hourly student employees. This includes onboarding, training, mentoring, and scheduling for all employees. In addition, the Manager will work with faculty to coordinate all teaching, research, and Extension activities.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14
• Bachelors’ degree in Animal Science or a closely related field completed by first day of employment with at least two years of directly related experience in swine unit operations;
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work as a contributing team member;
• Demonstrated use of technology in managing livestock operations;
• Demonstrated ability or potential to schedule and coordinate multiple activities;
• Certified in Pork Quality Assurance or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire;
• Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire, and willingness to travel.
• Master’s degree in Animal Science or closely related field;
• Previous swine unit management experience;
• Demonstrated experience with supervision of employees.
Apply online by clicking HERE!.