Experience Prior experience preferred
Do you have a passion for Animal Care? Are you looking for an exciting role in Animal Science? Christensen Farms is looking to hire Research and Care staff for our new research facility in the St. James Area. This is a great opportunity for someone with previous animal care experience or schooling in animal science, who is looking to start a career in livestock and feed research.
Christensen Farms is one of the largest, family-owned pork producers in the United States, marketing approximately 3 million hogs per year. Headquartered in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, the company operates throughout the Midwest with facilities in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and South Dakota. Christensen Farms owns four feed mills, manages 145,000 sows on 44 farms, and oversees more than 350 nurseries and grow-finish sites. The company employees nearly 1,000 people and maintains 1,500 contract partnerships.
The company is vertically integrated with a strong presence across the pork value chain from farm to fork. Christensen Farms is the largest shareholder of Triumph Foods LLC, a producer-owned primary pork processing plant in St. Joseph, Missouri. In turn, Triumph Foods members own 50 percent of Daily’s Premium Meats, a specialty pork processor of bacon and other premium pork products. Triumph Foods also holds a 50 percent partnership in Seaboard Triumph Foods, LLC of Sioux City, Iowa, a primary pork processing plant.
Position Overview & Responsibilities: Critical to the success of all research trials, this position has immediate responsibility for the care of the animals in Christensen Farms research nursery. Research and development is a critical area of the Christensen Farms organization in our continuous strive for excellence.
The research animal caretaker will have the opportunity to work closely with other caretakers and the research site manager at Christensen Farm’s research nursery located in Southcentral Minnesota. The site capacity is 7,000 head with 4 rooms and state-of-the-art technology and research capabilities. The site has the ability to remotely mix and deliver feed of any quantity, from any bin, to any pen in the barn. The research facilities have capabilities to weigh pigs individually and by large groups/pens. All of these key features allow us to evaluate the effect of the environment, water treatments, and nutrition on Christensen Farms’ pigs.
The duties of this job require a high degree of skill in animal care, animal handling, and accuracy of work. Motivation, attention to detail, and a self-disciplined approach are necessities for successful job performance.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Responsible for the care of the animals in the research site(s), including, but not limited to: Daily observations, individual treatment plans, feeder management, environmental management, and recording data
- Perform individual daily pig evaluation and determine treatment plan as needed
- Responsible and appropriate use of medications for disease treatment
- Pull pigs from the general population into pull pens for recovery
- Timely euthanasia and dead removal
- Ensure pigs have adequate feed, clean water, and appropriate ventilation at all times
- Monitor and adjust ventilation as needed
- Laundry and site cleanliness
- Loading and unloading pigs for transport
- Barn preparation for new groups of pigs
- Work closely and communicate frequently with the research site manger to ensure the research sites have exceptional pig care and high caliber research data
- Keeping the research site manager informed on a timely basis in regards to scheduling, issues, time frames, commitments, production and human resource issues
- Willingness to support other needs of the department, including both field trials and labor needs at the other research sites
- Upholding company image and promoting it inside and outside the organization
- Supporting and promoting company policies, procedures, and values.
- Collect data in an organized, detailed, and accurate manner
- Record any animal movements within the research sites by individual ID
- Record individual treatments
- Record scour score by pen, when required
- Record residual (overflow) feed daily
- Input collected information into Excel
- Assist the research site manager with research processes that include, but are not limited to: Setting up trials, counting pigs, weighing pigs, and sorting pigs
- Provide additional support on an as needed basis to other research activities outside of research sites
- Report events that deviate from normal operation and may affect results to research staff
- Provides accurate and timely correspondence as required by the research barn manager or service manager
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements:
Education: Advanced education preferred
Experience: Previous swine or livestock production experience preferred.
Specialized Training Requirements: Basic computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Excel.
Specialized or Motorized Equipment and/or Tools:
This position may require operating a company vehicle, or receiving regular mileage reimbursement. Any offer for this position will be contingent upon the review of the candidate’s motor vehicle record (MVR). The MVR will be reviewed to determine insurability based on CF’s insurance carrier and company policy.
Vehicle Licensing Requirement: Class D