Job ID 39567
Experience Prior experience preferred
Position: SOW FARM MANAGER
We are looking for a Sow Farm Manager for our 2,500 head sow farm near Stacyville, IA.
Candidates must be Bilingual.
Supervise functions associated with the breeding and farrowing performance of farm and collaborate with Farm Owner’s and Management Company to meet herd’s productivity and cost of production objectives
- Supporting Farm Owner’s and Management Company decisions, policies and leadership being provided to all farm personnel.
- Collaborate with Breeding Manager and Farrowing Manager concerning scheduling and organization of daily personnel activities.
- Supervise and perform production tasks required in breeding/gestation and farrowing barns.
- Assist in recruiting farm personnel.
- Timely give feedback and perform written evaluations of farm personnel.
- Train farm personnel how to successfully perform all tasks involved with farm management.
- Timely schedule farm personnel work days and ensure time off is fairly and consistently allocated.
- Maintain low farm personnel turnover rates.
- Daily care of breeding stock and piglets.
- Providing proper environment for animals in farm
a) Computer controllers set accurately
b) Air inlets adjusted accordingly
c) Drip cooling or cool cell systems set properly
d) Heat lamps and piglet comfort zones meet piglet age requirements
e) Pit plugs pulled timely and pit’s recharged to minimize pit gases and odor
f) Ensures barns are kept clean and manure buildup behind sows is minimized
- Animal nutrition
a) Ensure fresh feed is available and spoiled feed is dumped out daily
b) Get sows up at each feeding
c) Feed levels timely adjusted to meet sow’s body condition requirements
d) Ensure piglets receive adequate amounts of clostrom
e) Ensure adequate water flow is available
f) Maximize lactation feed intake
- Follow herd health and bio-security protocols
a) Vaccination protocols timely performed
b) Sow and piglet treatments are done on a timely basis
- Ensure proper animal husbandry of all animals in farm
a) Timely euthanize suffering animals
b) Remove dead animals to rendering or compost area timely
c) Ensure that farm personnel move and handle animals properly
- Meet farm production targets
a) Ensure enough females are being bred to meet farrowing target
b) Maintain high farrowing rates and minimize non-productive sow days
c) Maximize number of piglets weaned per sow
d) Optimize health and quality of wean pigs
e) Maximize herd efficiencies
f) Control breeding stock culling and replacement rates
- Timely perform routine building and equipment maintenance
- Address issues that may cause an un-safe working environment
- Enlist outside contractor assistance to repair mechanical breakdowns beyond basic maintenance performance and obtain Management Company pre-approval to complete repair projects of significant cost
- Ensure that work area is kept picked up, clean, neat and orderly
- Assist in keeping office, supply rooms, generator room and storage areas clean and orderly
- Ensure farm’s manure storage system is operating according to local and state requirements.
- Ensure dead animal composting area is operated according to local and state requirements.
- Keep Management Company timely informed of status of farm productivity and personnel
- Ensure sow cards and production forms are timely and accurately completed
- Daily complete production summary reports
- Submit production reports to office on expected schedule
- Ensure sow tag number and sow card information reconciles
- Timely project pig weaning schedule and breeding stock flow
- Managing supply inventory
a) Ensuring an adequate inventory of products are available on farm
b) Collaborate with Management Company to ensure cost control of supplies being purchased
c) Collaborate with farm personnel to order feed
d)Minimizing semen wastage by ordering semen to meet breeding projections
- Utilize production and financial reports to identify opportunities to improve farm’s productivity and profitability
- Be willing to respond to and adequately handle emergency alarm calls
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as directed by Management Company
- Be willing to acquire skills as needed to perform technological advancements