Job ID 38279
Experience Previous experience required
Suidae Health and Production is currently looking to fill a Sow Farm Manager position at their 5,000 head sow farm near Lakota, ND. Benefits include Health, Vision and Dental, Matching Simple IRA and a Production Bonus.
Supervise functions associated with the breeding and farrowing performance of farm and collaborate with Farm Owner’s and Management Company to meet herd’s productivity and cost of production objectives.
- Supporting Farm Owner’s and Management Company decisions, policies and leadership being provided to all farm personnel.
- Collaborate with Breeding Manager and Farrowing Manager concerning scheduling and organization of daily personnel activities.
- Supervise and perform production tasks required in breeding/gestation and farrowing barns.
- Assist in recruiting farm personnel.
- Timely give feedback and perform written evaluations of farm personnel.
- Train farm personnel how to successfully perform all tasks involved with farm management.
- Timely schedule farm personnel work days and ensure time off is fairly and consistently allocated.
- Maintain low farm personnel turnover rates.
- Daily care of breeding stock and piglets.
- Providing proper environment for animals in farm
- Computer controllers set accurately
- Air inlets adjusted accordingly
- Drip cooling or cool cell systems set properly
- Heat lamps and piglet comfort zones meet piglet age requirements
- Pit plugs pulled timely and pit’s recharged to minimize pit gases and odor
- Ensures barns are kept clean and manure buildup behind sows is minimized
- Animal nutrition
- Ensure fresh feed is available and spoiled feed is dumped out daily
- Get sows up at each feeding
- Feed levels timely adjusted to meet sow’s body condition requirements
- Ensure piglets receive adequate amounts of clostrom
- Ensure adequate water flow is available
- Maximize lactation feed intake
- Follow herd health and bio-security protocols
- Vaccination protocols timely performed
- Sow and piglet treatments are done on a timely basis
- Ensure proper animal husbandry of all animals in farm
- Timely euthanize suffering animals
- Remove dead animals to rendering or compost area timely
- Ensure that farm personnel move and handle animals properly
- Meet farm production targets
- Ensure enough females are being bred to meet farrowing target
- Maintain high farrowing rates and minimize non-productive sow days
- Maximize number of piglets weaned per sow
- Optimize health and quality of wean pigs
- Maximize herd efficiencies
- Control breeding stock culling and replacement rates
- Timely perform routine building and equipment maintenance
- Address issues that may cause an un-safe working environment
- Enlist outside contractor assistance to repair mechanical breakdowns beyond basic maintenance performance and obtain Management Company pre-approval to complete repair projects of significant cost
- Ensure that work area is kept picked up, clean, neat and orderly
- Assist in keeping office, supply rooms, generator room and storage areas clean and orderly
- Ensure farm’s manure storage system is operating according to local and state requirements.
- Ensure dead animal composting area is operated according to local and state requirements.
- Keep Management Company timely informed of status of farm productivity and personnel
- Ensure sow cards and production forms are timely and accurately completed
- Daily complete production summary reports
- Submit production reports to office on expected schedule
- Ensure sow tag number and sow card information reconciles
- Timely project pig weaning schedule and breeding stock flow
- Managing supply inventory
- Ensuring an adequate inventory of products are available on farm
- Collaborate with Management Company to ensure cost control of supplies being purchased
- Collaborate with farm personnel to order feed
- Minimizing semen wastage by ordering semen to meet breeding projections
- Utilize production and financial reports to identify opportunities to improve farm’s productivity and profitability
- Be willing to respond to and adequately handle emergency alarm calls
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as directed by Management Company
- Be willing to acquire skills as needed to perform technological advancements
To view the full ad on the Suidae Health and Production website, click HERE.