Experience 2+ years
The Human Resources team is searching for ambitious personnel to join their everyday mission to discover, hire, and retain great talent. These personnel are the conduit for positive employee relations, performance management, and focal point for benefits/compensation. You would be instrumental in achieving Smithfield’s goal to become the #1 consumer packaged goods company in the world!
This position manages, directs and coordinates the Human Resource policies and programs covering several of the following: labor relations, wage and salary administration, orientation and training, safety and health, benefits and employee services. This position also manages the recruitment, development and retention of employees; has knowledge of EEO laws and general human resources concepts.
- Implements and manages on-going policies, programs, and procedures to foster understanding of and improvement in management, supervisory or employee relations.
- Manages situations involving policy or contract interpretation. Leads and mentors others to ensure consistent application of all such rules and policies. Develops and implements innovative solutions to personnel and/or labor relations issues to mitigate any legal or compliance-related risks. Maintains a positive labor/employee relations environment by counseling managers and employees on human resource policies and rules, identifying and resolving problems or recommending courses of action.
- Counsels managers and/or supervisors concerning human resource policies and procedures; reviews and resolves issues.
- Supervises Human Resource staff directly or through supervisors; plans, assigns and reviews assignments; counsels staff; evaluates job performance and approves or recommends actions.
- Ensures administrative, management and hourly production employee retention at the facility is maintained at an acceptable level. Uses knowledge, experience, and continuous interpretation of facility dynamics to help understand and determine the training and educational needs of the hourly employees and administrative, management employees.
- Manages all new employee recruitment, orientation, and training, either through primary function or through performance of subordinates.
- Manages the development and ongoing execution of the location’s Affirmation Action plan to achieve AAP goals during entire employment process for all employees at the facility (recruitment, promotions, transition processes)
- Performs analysis and prepares statistical reports, narrative reports and communications for use in formulating goals and objectives.
- Manages employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years’ exempt level relevant experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices.
- Knowledge of Human Resource systems; Internet software; Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Payroll Database software.
- Possesses specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures, including administration of benefits, compensation and other programs.
- Prior experience in a manufacturing environment, preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong reasoning and math skills.
- Bi-lingual skills: speak, read, write, address groups, individuals, conduct investigations, counseling, training, mentoring, using language other than English (as applicable to the business unit), preferred.
- Must be able to travel 5-10% of the time.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Capable of sitting for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Able to travel as needed.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.