Job ID 38481
Experience 1-3 years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Christensen Farms is one of the largest, family-owned pork producers in the United States, marketing approximately 3 million hogs per year. Headquartered in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, the company operates throughout the Midwest with facilities in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and South Dakota. Christensen Farms owns four feed mills, manages 145,000 sows on 44 farms, and oversees more than 350 nurseries and grow-finish sites. The company employees nearly 1,000 people and maintains 1,500 contract partnerships.
The company is vertically integrated with a strong presence across the pork value chain – from farm to fork. Christensen Farms is the largest shareholder of Triumph Foods LLC, a producer-owned primary pork processing plant in St. Joseph, Missouri. In turn, Triumph Foods members own 50 percent of Daily’s Premium Meats, a specialty pork processor of bacon and other premium pork products. Triumph Foods also holds a 50 percent partnership in Seaboard Triumph Foods, LLC of Sioux City, Iowa, a primary pork processing plant.
Position Overview & Responsibilities: Critical to the success of all research trials, this position has immediate responsibility for the implementation of research protocols and the maintenance and management of Christensen Farm’s wean to finish research facilities. Research and development is a critical area of the Christensen Farms organization in our continuous strive for excellence.
The research site manager will have the opportunity to manage two 2,400 head swine research facilities with state-of-the-art technology and research capabilities. Each site has the ability to remotely mix and deliver feed of any quantity, from any bin to any pen in the barn. The research facilities have capabilities to weigh pigs individually and by large groups/pens. All of these key features allow us to evaluate the effect of the environment, water treatments, health, and nutrition on Christensen Farms’ pigs.
The duties of this job require a high degree of skill in maintaining established standards of quality and accuracy. Motivation, determination, and a self-disciplined approach to achieving results that meet these established criteria are a necessity for successful job performance. At times, the work will require technical problem solving while working within approved organizational systems and technology.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Accurate and timely ordering and monitoring of feed in accordance with research protocols
- Ordering of supplies, medications, and vaccinations
- Cost control and keeping site expenses under control
- Monitoring bio-security issues and maintaining bio-security control
- Maintenance, site care, environmental control and informing the M and R team of needed repairs
- Ensure pigs always have access to feed, water, and quality ventilation
- Completing weekly and monthly checklists
- Barn preparation for new group of pigs
- Loading and unloading pigs for transport
- Power washing as required
- Safe Data call in of production related information
- Laundry and office care
- Report information as requested (weekly, month end reports, etc.)
- Timely euthanasia of pigs
- Respond to barn alarms in a timely manner
- Organize and give direction to labor as needed
- Assist the swine research specialists with animal care as needed
- Work closely and communicate frequently with the swine research specialists to ensure the site has exceptional pig care and high caliber research data
- Keeping the research manager informed on a timely basis in regards to scheduling, issues, time frames, commitments, production and human resource issues
- Working closely with the other research site manager at the third facility and provide additional support or labor as needed
- Occasional work for other needs of the department may be required
- Willingness to take on new projects and support testing of new equipment or concepts
- Upholding company image and promoting it inside and outside the organization
- Supporting and promoting company policies, procedures, and values.
- Implement research protocols as defined
- Use and knowledge of research equipment
- Counting pigs
- Manage data sheet in an organized, detailed, and accurate manner
- Weigh pigs on a regular basis as indicated in the research protocol
- Input collected information into Excel and perform basic data summarization
- Organize all trial information and ensure quality and accuracy of data collection
- Oversee research processes that include, but are not limited to: Setting up trials, allotting pigs, and managing transportation loads
- Report events that deviate from normal operation and may affect results to research staff
- Provides accurate and timely correspondence as required by research manager
- Directly supervise the swine research specialists to ensure exceptional pig care and high caliber research data
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum formal education required: Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum number of years of prior job experience required: Minimal, 1-3 years. Previous swine or livestock Production experience preferred. Prior management experience is also preferred.
- Specialized Training requirements: Basic computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Excel.