Experience 3 years
Christensen Farms is one of the largest, family-owned pork producers in the United States, marketing approximately 3 million hogs per year. Headquartered in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, the company operates throughout the Midwest with facilities in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and South Dakota. Christensen Farms owns four feed mills, manages 145,000 sows on 44 farms, and oversees more than 350 nurseries and grow-finish sites. The company employees nearly 1,000 people and maintains 1,500 contract partnerships.
The company is vertically integrated with a strong presence across the pork value chain – from farm to fork. Christensen Farms is the largest shareholder of Triumph Foods LLC, a producer-owned primary pork processing plant in St. Joseph, Missouri. In turn, Triumph Foods members own 50 percent of Daily’s Premium Meats, a specialty pork processor of bacon and other premium pork products. Triumph Foods also holds a 50 percent partnership in Seaboard Triumph Foods, LLC of Sioux City, Iowa, a primary pork processing plant.
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
In this important role in Sleepy Eye, MN, the Live Operations Project Manager is responsible for strategic projects and production excellence within our core business. This role is also responsible for creating and maintaining partnerships with all Operations Leaders in all areas of production; and strategize and develop action plans to improve existing performance. Additionally, assistance with training and implementation of new processes, technologies and control measures within Operational functions is critical. This position will be responsible for building relationships with International Professional staff at all locations, focusing on individual and team development, identifying high-potential employees and career opportunities to support company succession. This position must participate in Operational work groups & meetings as directed by VP to represent operational leadership and drive collaborative decision making. Additionally, this position will engage with business unit managers and other operational leaders to develop system action plans consistent with achieving business plan targets.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Prepare operational summaries as directed to effectively communicate progress & opportunity throughout the operational areas
- Assist with the identification of talent, training & development of existing & future management individuals, with a heightened focus on International Professionals.
- Assist in curriculum creation for International Professionals for onboarding, assimilation to the farm and community, and all training relevant to the employee’s job
- Participate in industry functions to improve operational knowledge & business acumen
- Build solid, collaborative relationships with all internal CF department leaders to promote positive work environment and outcomes in all cross functional, shared areas of responsibility
- Work closely with the Innovation Team on new concepts, technologies and ideas thought to provide long-term efficiencies and cost savings for CF
- Engage with Research Team to provide operational needs and insight into ongoing activities
- Play a liaison role between the Innovation Team and Operations Leaders for successful trial execution and implementation of successful business improvement projects
- Represent CF as a leader both internal and external to the organization
- Assist in troubleshooting opportunistic areas within CF both operational and non-operational to improve outcomes in productivity, cost management and employee relations
- Participate and deliver group training in multiple settings
- Liaison between VP, Regional Managers, Health Teams on interdepartmental projects, inputs and decisions.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements:
Minimum formal education required: High School and Project Management experience
Minimum number of years of prior job experience required: 3-5 years
Other Skills/Abilities required:
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Proven excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented atmosphere
- Ability to manage time and priorities in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively build strong working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Proven ability to use initiative and think independently
- Demonstrated commitment to the swine industry and well-being of livestock
- Ability and willingness to travel