Job ID 37560
Experience 1-3 years
Christensen Farms is one of the largest, family-owned pork producers in the United States, marketing approximately 3 million hogs per year. Headquartered in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, the company operates throughout the Midwest with facilities in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois and South Dakota. Christensen Farms owns four feed mills, manages 145,000 sows on 44 farms, and oversees more than 350 nurseries and grow-finish sites. The company employees nearly 1,000 people and maintains 1,500 contract partnerships.
The company is vertically integrated with a strong presence across the pork value chain from farm to fork. Christensen Farms is the largest shareholder of Triumph Foods LLC, a producer-owned primary pork processing plant in St. Joseph, Missouri. In turn, Triumph Foods members own 50 percent of Daily’s Premium Meats, a specialty pork processor of bacon and other premium pork products. Triumph Foods also holds a 50 percent partnership in Seaboard Triumph Foods, LLC of Sioux City, Iowa, a primary pork processing plant.
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
The Nursery Production Manager is responsible for the oversight and performance of wean to finish swine production barns within a designated region. Ability to manage timelines and identify opportunities as well as solutions as they arise is critical to be successful in this role. The Production Manager will be expected to represent Christensen Farms at a highly professional level when interacting with all employees, independent contractors and producers. While geographically focused the successful candidate will be part of a team which is focused on system-wide improvement objectives.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Responsible for the oversight of swine production sites within a region under the direction of a Service Manager.
- Identify, diagnose and respond to health, environmental and nutritional requirements of pigs in the designated geographical area.
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures are upheld at all times.
- Prepare service reports for each visit that provides an accurate assessment of the site and agreed upon solutions; delivering value to both CF and the producer/contractor.
- Work in partnership with producers, contractors and staff to ensure animal wellbeing standards are upheld.
- Ensure vaccine and medications are administered according to established protocols
- Manage medication, vaccine and supply inventories according to schedules.
- When appropriate assist a producer or contractor in the identification and treatment of pigs in need
- Prepare and manage a weekly schedule that provides objectives for each farm visit or scheduled meeting
- Interact with others in a way that expedites resolution to conflict, promotes positive outcome and builds credibility and rapport.
- Closely communicates and reports on results with the Service Manager.
- Understand basic principles of contractual arrangements with contractors and producers.
- In coordination with the Service Manager, actively participates in the group close out review and discussion with a producer or contractor.
- Work with producers, contractors, employees and local communities in a professional manner to uphold CF standards and enhance CF’s reputation.
Management Scope and Level of Responsibility:
Contributor. Position without supervisory responsibilities.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements:
Minimum formal education required: Some College within an agriculture-based major is preferred.
Minimum number of years of prior job experience required: Minimum 1-3 years previous livestock experience.
Specialized or Motorized Equipment and/or Tools:
This position will require occasionally operating a company vehicle or mileage reimbursement. Any
employment offer extended for this position will be contingent upon the review of the candidate’s motor vehicle record (MVR). The MVR will be reviewed to determine insurability based on CFF’s insurance carrier and company policy.
Vehicle Licensing Requirement: Class D