Career Level Manager
Experience 2 years
IOWA SELECT FARMS JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Gilt Selector Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Breeding Herd Supply Chain
- We believe in doing the right thing every day, operating with character and integrity, and being stewards of our resource by committing to:
- Our Animals
- Our People
- Our Environment
- Our Community
- The core values of an organization are those values we hold which form the foundation on which we perform work and conduct ourselves. We expect all leaders, managers, and employees to demonstrate, foster and promote:
- Respect: We treat people with respect regardless of personal opinions or differing backgrounds, and no one within the organization is more or less important than anyone else
- Accountability: We hold ourselves accountable for completing our job responsibilities and following through on our commitments. We encompass our ability to recognize our own strengths and areas for improvement as well as accept responsibility for the performance and actions of ourselves and our teams without blaming others
- Good Decision-Making: We are expected to continuously improve processes, attain results, and create efficiencies to achieve our mission while solving problems based on a combination of factual information, analysis, wisdom, and experience
- Flexibility: We must react to changing circumstances, ambiguity and uncertainty with confidence, openness, positive energy, and optimism.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- To lead, develop and execute the selection process for all replacement females that supply Iowa Select Farms’ Sow and Gilt Development systems. Collaborate with Senior Management to improve the selection process while assisting in all areas of Multiplication including site supervision assistance as directed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Captain the selection of gilts and identify animals for market and culls
- Work with Health Services and Supervisors for site testing needed during the selection process for clearing transportation guidelines
- Perform Myco testing – laryngeal swabs
- Perform Fecal testing – rectal swabs
- Help receive gilts into sites which would include:
- Creating a barn fill plan
- Understanding and implementation of fill plans
- Site setup and administering the acclimatization program
- Assist Multiplication and GDU Supervisors as requested
- Prepare sites for shipping out gilts
- Help with loading process
- Monitoring bio security and production wellbeing processes
- Monitoring of the loading process
- Ensuring the best quality of gilts go on the truck
- Communicating with multiplication supervisors on the number of selects and projected weights for load count
- Performing service visits of sites when required
- Monitoring of production well-being policies during visits to the farms
- Addressing issues that are identified with managers and direct supervisors
- Helping with company projects across the state which may include:
- Increased amounts of travel
- Assistance with breeding projects
- Assistance with health projects
- Observation and follow up during site visits to ensure proper pig care is being executed, such as:
- Fans, curtains, heaters, and other equipment are working properly.
- Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
- Facilities are kept clean and organized, including power washing and disinfecting.
- Adhere to Iowa Select Farms bio-security policy at all times which includes reporting any violations or concerns to management team
- Compliance with Iowa Select Farms safety policies and procedures which includes continuous education to maintain a safe work environment
- Follow Iowa Select Farms animal wellbeing policy at all times and partner with the Production Well-being team in a timely manner if an incident occurs
- Collaboration Skills
- Decision Making
- Communication Proficiency
- Ethical Conduct
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Time Management
- This position is performed indoors.
- This position may require some tasks to be performed in outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibrations.
- The environment you will be working will have nuisance levels of gasses and dust, particularly in the winter months
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear.
- The employee must be able to continuously repeat necessary movements such as bending, lifting and different hand movements as needed to complete tasks
- Ability to lift at least 40 pounds independently and remove mortality weighing up to 300 lbs. with farm supplied tools along with ability to climb up and over gates if necessary
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- This is a full-time position that will require a minimum of 40 hours per week
- Expected days and hours of operation include day-shift hours Monday-Fridays
- Occasional evening hours and weekend work may be required as job duties demand
- Additional availability may be required during staffing challenges
- Regular travel will be required for this position which entails the utilization of a company vehicle
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous industry experience is preferred
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or changed at any time with or without notice.