Responsible for the management of a world class nucleus nursery/finish site. Directs and coordinates all activities specifically associated with a state-of-the-art nursery and finishing test site that ships animals to customers all over the world by performing the duties listed below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
– Operate a 3,200 head wean to finish swine facility in Glen Flora, WI
– Responsible to work both independently and as a team to ensure day-to-day operations and daily care of all animals on site is completed
– Operations include but are not limited to ordering feed, weekly paperwork, ensuring loads are correct, supply ordering, adhering to vaccination schedules, genetic data testing, selection, ensuring proper ventilation, daily choring, daily treatments, keeping a clean facility, and timely and accurate record keeping
– Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner with both livestock and the facility
– Ensures that all policies and procedures set forth by Waukon Feed Ranch and Topigs Norsvin are followed
– Approaches others in a tactful manner, communicates effectively, has a positive attitude, reacts professionally in pressure situations, treats others with respect and consideration. Ability to balance differing viewpoints
– Establishes and maintains open communication with all farm staff, management, external customers and suppliers, and HR management
– Adheres to strict biosecurity, animal welfare and environmental policies
– Utilizes data systems, computer, email, iPad to complete all paperwork required for a genetic nucleus site
– Understands business implications of decisions and contributes to profits/revenue of the farm
– Works with integrity, ethically, promotes a harassment-free work environment, observes safety and security procedures
– Will have assistance from employees from the sow farm as needed and must effectively communicate when there is a need for assistance and communicate expectations to them.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of 1 year of livestock experience is preferred.
2-4-year degree related to agriculture or business is desired, but not required.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. Able to write correspondence. Present
information in one – on – one and small group situations to customers and employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and
decimals. Ability to compute ratio, rate, percent and interpret graphs. Must be able to read and interpret reports and
related production efficiencies.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Must be able to deal
with problems and situations using good judgment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of internet, spreadsheet and word processing
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
1. Must have or obtain appropriate driver’s license.
2. Must be willing to and able to tolerate longer working hours as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must meet by the employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is required to stand, walk, use hand to fingers, handle, feel,
reach with hands and arms, talk, hear, taste and smell. Frequently must stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Occasionally
required to sit, climb or balance. May have to move up to 100 pounds. Vision abilities include: close, distance, color,
peripheral, depth and adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of the job. Employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and
vibration. Maybe exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles, outside weather conditions, cold,
heat and risk of electrical shock. Work environment is usually loud.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Waukon Feed Ranch is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your cover letter and resume. Please state Waukon Feed Ranch and the job title as the subject line of your email application.