Experience 3 years
Job Duties & Accountabilities
Typical Duties of a Sow Farm Manager include:
- Manage the full profit & loss and a multi-million dollar asset base with responsibility for driving profitability of the farm through lower cost of production and increasing quality and volume of wean pigs shipped.
- Develop leadership and technical skills of a team of Team Leads and/or Production Technicians generally on a 2500 head mated farm or smaller, and ensuring the Performance Management system is properly executed.
- Participate in the development of annual operating goals, human resource needs, and farm business plans including the review of operating costs and performance for production farms within assigned scope of responsibility,
- Monitor, review, and analyze biological and financial performance for root cause of issues, develop effective countermeasures and execute plans to restore performance.
- Oversee recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, and development of new team members, in alignment with company policies for hiring, staffing, discipline, and terminations
- Promote safe work habits, a safe working environment, and report all work related injuries.
- Coordinate and manage all farm inputs including, but not limited to, air, feed, water, labor, gilts, medications, supplies, and fuel.
- Ensure the implementation of BTW standard operating procedures, technologies, and other innovations to improve production and environmental stewardship through direct training and field/metric observations.
- Implement individual pig care practices to maintain the health and well-being of all animals including owning, monitoring, and directing all practices that promote Bio-Security in coordination with Health Services.
- Responsible for identifying all major capital repairs, routine repairs, and maintaining a preventative maintenance program.
A career with The Maschhoffs is packed with benefits:
- Competitive pay
- Bonus program based on farm performance
- Excellent Health Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision) including:
- The Maschhoffs covers on average $11,000-$17,000 in benefits annually
- Company contributions to Health Savings Account
- Short Term/Long Term Disability
- No-cost counseling sessions
- Full-time employees are eligible the 1st of the month following 30 days!
- 401K plan with up to 4% company match
- Accrued Paid Time Off of 12 days per year plus a paid Life Event Day
- School Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Extra money earned through our referral program
- Discounted Pork Packs (including loins/ribs/bacon and more!)
High School diploma or GED required.
Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, Agriculture or related field preferred.
3 years management experience required.
Bachelors degree may be substituted for two years of management experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1) Knowledge of
- Livestock/swine management and handling
- Standard maintenance procedures
- Basic understanding of how to operate computer hardware and software, including MS Office, and Internet Explorer
2) Ability to
- Work independently, as well as being a team player
- Monitor and develop subordinates to insure smooth operation of the farm
- Desire to learn new skills
- Use production records to facilitate improvements
- Confront direct reports and hold people accountable when necessary
- Understand company vision and strategy
3) Skill in
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Application of company tools for leadership development and learning
- Building effective teams and motivating them to achieve high performance
- Optimize breeding farm productivity
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
High School or better.
Bachelors or better.
3 years: Management Experience