Our Animal Health Research Laboratories team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and well being of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
Director Bio R&D Swine
Department: Global R&D – Bio
Reports to: Global R&D Species Head Swine
Supervises: Species specialists and Project Leaders in Swine Biologicals
Location: DeSoto, KS, USA
Purpose of Job:
The Animal Health R&D organization for the development of biologicals is organized as a matrix organization with a primary focus on 5 Species groups (Aquatic, Companion Animals, Poultry, Ruminants and Swine) and Discovery and Technology (D&T), which performs basic research and serves all species. The Species and D&T organizations are the hierarchical structures of the global R&D Biologicals organization and shape and perform the global R&D project portfolio.
The role of the R&D Director is to support the Global Species Head in the overall management of the assigned R&D projects and assist in defining and executing the global swine biologicals portfolio and strategy.
Help drive, in collaboration with the Species head and International Marketing, the strategic plan for the Species to ensure a continued market leader position. In his/her role, the R&D Director will:
Responsibilities – R&D Operations management
The Director will be involved in the species-overarching operational management of all R&D activities on the local site, such as including management of the laboratories and animal services department. Therefore, a close collaboration and dialogue with operational management is required.
Our Animal Health division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to the health and well-being of animals. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society and our planet. We offer one of our industry’s most innovative portfolio of products, services and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
Education Minimum Requirement:
· Ph.D in microbiology, parasitology, immunology or a related biological or veterinary discipline.
· DVM is an added bonus
Required Experience and Skills:
· Minimum of 10 years experience leading project teams engaged in vaccine research and development.
· Ability to oversee and manage the design, planning and execution of robust scientific research in a number of concurrent projects
· Ability to operate efficiently and with business acumen to drive innovation and influence pipeline advancement
· Ability to communicate research activities in terms that can be understood by a variety of stakeholders
· Ability to function effectively in a team-focused environment
· Ability to collaborate and integrate activities with internal and external partners/customers
· Ability to understand, effectively apply and comply with internal standards and procedures
· Ability to define key success factors associated with projects & develop strategies to track performance
· Proven and significant people management skills and experiences
· Well developed verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
· Demonstrated experience with and understanding of swine infectious diseases and porcine immune systems
· Experience in developing vaccines for swine and familiarity with swine industry practices is an asset
· Demonstrated knowledge of end-to-end vaccine discovery and development process
· Experience in vaccine licensure process through USDA
Clear understanding of the constraints that govern vaccine development and commercialization
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Please apply online by clicking >HERE.