Experience 1-2 years
About the Company:
Cactus Family Farms encompasses the Pork Division of Cactus Operating, LLC. Cactus Family Farms has hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, and Minnesota. Cactus Feeders, Inc. is an Amarillo, Texasbased producer of commercial cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned, with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion.
The Animal Production Logistics Manager is responsible for focusing on the following aspects: pig flow (wean to finish and feeder to finish), overstock movements, and the marketing schedule. The Animal Production Logistics Manager will report to the Operations Manager.
• Manage a team to plan and communicate all animal logistics
• Manage all relationships associated with animal movements, including but not limited to packing plants, sow farms, field staff, transportation, feed department, accounting, etc.
• Establish, maintain, and communicate the pig flow, market schedule, and overstock movements to all pertinent individuals.
• Forecasting and managing available market hogs vs. shackle space availability.
• Managing space utilization in Wean to Finish production.
• Managing costs and providing insight on improving efficiency.
• Understanding and coordinating the flow of wean pigs from the sow farm to the finishing site.
• Understanding of the pig growth chart as it relates to overstock movements and hog market weights.
• Calculate the number of wean pigs placed into each finishing building and calculate the number of head to be moved at overstock movement to the feeder site.
• Provide dispatch services for all live animal movements.
• Provide technical direction (where applicable) for animal production, transportation, and site selection for marketing while working closely with field service personnel, feed department, accounting department, site construction manager, sow farm managers, trucking companies, packing plants, etc., to achieve goals.
• Prepare reports and present them to Senior Management.
• Perform process monitoring and work in a manner that promotes customer focus, teamwork, and continuous improvement. This could include process improvement opportunities.
• Take appropriate action to ensure product specifications are met throughout the production and delivery phase.
• Complete all pertinent paperwork, charts, job tasks, and recording of all required data as determined by the supervisor.
• Responsible to communicate problems/issues to supervisor in a timely manner.
• Assist with special projects pertaining to the finishing group.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in either Animal Science or Ag related field
• 1-2 years’ experience in animal production or logistics (Required)
• Thorough understanding and ability to apply commercial swine production knowledge a (preferred, not required).
• Verifiable ability to navigate Microsoft Office products with an understanding that Microsoft Excel will be used daily.
• Ability and willingness to be trained and work with company-specific software.
• Be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing with other employees and company contacts.
• Demonstrated personal leadership, interpersonal effectiveness, and organization skills with the ability to take personal initiative and work effectively in teams.
Success Factors in the Position:
• Have the drive to hit targets by managing given processes and procedures.
• Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decisionmaking.
• Able to react to a work environment that will change daily as unexpected things occur in the production system.
• Able to work with people in such a manner as to build high morale, create positive energy, and group commitments to goals and objectives.
• Self-motivated and dedicated to the company and organizational goals.
Benefits and Pay:
• Salaried position with wages based on qualifications, skills, and experience
• Competitive health insurance package – health, dental, vision, and life insurance
• 100% paid retirement through Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), paid by Cactus Family Farms.