PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide support to assigned wean-to-finish, grow-finish production sites and supervisors to ensure proper care is given to Iowa Select Farms’ swine.
· Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policies at all times and partner with Production Well-being team when incident occurs.
· Adhere to ISF bio-security policies at all times and fixing/communicating violations if an issue occurs or you are made aware of.
· Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
· The 3 key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the entire farm.
· Provide support to finishing teams to ensure proper pig care is given.
· Ensure site managers have necessary support to provide proper swine care – this may involve training and delivering supplies and tools.
· Adhere to proper swine drug administration: mixing directions, quantity for injection and withdrawal times to meet ISF protocols.
· Care and management of animals to ensure that all animal well-being policies are followed:
· Animals are properly fed.
· Water is available.
· Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are properly treated.
· Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
· Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify when it is needed.
· Care and management of facilities to ensure that:
· Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working properly.
· Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
· Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and disinfecting.
· Facilities are organized and repaired between groups of pigs or as needed.
· Promote and demonstrate safe animal handling practices.
· Oversee and assist with loading and unloading activities.
· Receive newly weaned piglets or feeder pigs: count, sort, size and determine rejects and destroys based on ISF protocols, communicate this to appropriate supervisor and senior supervisor immediately.
· Complete euthanasia process according to ISF protocols.
· Administration of ISF protocols for site maintenance and pig management.
· Understands daily production numbers and factors that impact those goals as well as the steps the farm is taking to achieve those goals.
· Monitor overall health of pigs and communicate with staff veterinarian and/or supervisor on proper care and treatment of pigs.
· Provide feedback to your supervisor.
· Provide weekly communication to your supervisor on production, employee/contractor and or site issues so supervisor knows what issues are at the site.
· Computer knowledge/ skills- able to run reports, data entry, email, word documents, excel documents, and able to navigate the tools site to be able to find important company documents.
· Data entry for farm- including vaccinations, tools systems, feed order, and environmental.
· Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
· Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
· Select and mark hogs for market.
· Perform snow removal at designated sites or when emergency situations arise.
· Able to run generator and portable generator correctly.
· Follow company guidelines for vehicle usage.
· Pick up and deliver supplies in a timely manner.
· Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by start time given.
· Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
· Flexibility in hours during health challenges and staffing challenges is required.
· Working a flexible schedule, including every other weekend rotation is required.
· May be responsible for responding to alarm calls.
· Collaborate with other departments within the company.
· Keep farm, daily tasks, paperwork and people organized.
· Achieve consistent results.
· Provide a unified leadership message with supervisor.
· Be effective in conflict resolution by communicating directly with your supervisor.
· Take action immediately by partnering with appropriate departments and your supervisor when made aware of policy violations.
· Communicate and prioritize daily execution of tasks.
· Motivate others to accomplish goals and tasks.
· Responsible for development and training of employees/contractors by utilizing your resources and supervisors, asking for help where needed.
· Provide constructive and motivating feedback on employee’s/contractor’s performance and communicate with supervisor regarding this feedback.
· Must maintain confidentiality
· Other duties as specified by management.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Prior swine experience is preferred but not required.
This position requires the assistant to work closely with managers, supervisors, production staff and other company employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practiced at all times. Computer literacy is important with competencies in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and Internet Explorer. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
This person must be a self-starter and be able to schedule tasks and supervise people. Thus, they must have initiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your resume. Please state Iowa Select Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
Or visit www.iowaselect.com/employment to apply.