PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Lead and direct a team of finishing supervisors that is responsible for care, production performance, site maintenance, site appearance and financial success of Iowa Select wean to market pig sites.
· Adhere to Iowa Select Farms’ animal wellbeing policy at all times and partner with Production Well-being team when incident occurs.
· Adhere to Iowa Select Farms’ bio-security policy at all times and fixing violation if issue is brought to light.
· Adhere to Iowa Select Farms’ safety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
· The 3 key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the entire farm which also impacts incentive payouts.
· Develop and implement staffing, training, and development of finish supervisor and daily caretaker staff. Training includes but not limited to technical production skills, building and site maintenance, and development of finish supervisors, independent contractors, and ISF direct employees.
· Develop staffing strategies for finish supervisors, independent contractors and Iowa Select Employees for Iowa Select growing pig sites.
· Develop and implement strategies to achieve production and economic goals of the company and specific geographic area including production performance, revenue and marketing, and cost management KPI’s.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure core values of Iowa Select Farms are maintained, including environmental stewardship, animal well being, and employee care.
· Work with cross functional teams to improve system performance including but not limited to health services, sow production, nutrient management, human resources, production well-being, and repair and maintenance.
· Provide oversight of owner operator sites including contract management and production performance.
· Assist Director of Wean to Finish in strategy development and continuous improvement
· Commit to and engage in continuing education in area(s) of technical, professional, and regulatory responsibility that helps business. Demonstrated ability and reporting of continuous education is required and may require certification dependent on area of direct responsibility.
· Conduct site visits to ensure management team is giving proper care and management to animals and following all Iowa Select Farms animal well-being policies.
· Evaluate, discipline, and terminate contractors in partnership with supervisor. This would include administering and communicating breach of contracts.
· Work with supervisors to manage environment and the environmental controls and train manager to troubleshoot ventilation issues.
· Work with site managers to monitor all nutrient storage facilities and to report issues immediately.
· Administration of Iowa Select Farms protocols for site maintenance and pig management.
· Instruct and train managers on proper swine drug administration: mixing directions, quantity for injection and withdrawal times to meet Iowa Select Farms protocols.
· Monitor overall health of pigs and communicate with management, Staff Veterinarian and Supervisor on what is happening in the field.
· Work with the transportation department on the efficient flow of pigs in and out of sites.
· Responsible to understand and troubleshoot alarm systems and calls and ensure a response is initiated for 100% of these calls, acting as a backup to site managers and supervisor on all alarm calls.
· Forecast, select and mark hogs for market to maximize revenue and meet customer needs.
· Perform snow removal when emergency situations arise.
· Assist, solicit, interview and administer contracts to individuals needed to run production sites.
· Review payments to contractors such as double stock payments, check request, and vaccinations.
· Train, promote and demonstrate safe animal handling practices.
· Able to run generator and portable generator correctly.
· Follow company guidelines for vehicle usage.
· Pick up and deliver supplies as needed.
· Computer knowledge/ skills- able to run reports, data entry, email, word documents, excel documents, and able to navigate the tools site to be able to find important company documents.
· Understands daily production numbers and factors that impact those goals as well as the steps the farm is taking to achieve those goals.
· Understanding company production and incentive packages and motivates employees to achieve these results.
· Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
· Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
· Flexibility in hours during health challenges and staffing challenges is required.
· Collaborate with other departments within the company.
· All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Demonstrated Success. Must have demonstrated success in production, operations, strategic process and implementation.
· Work Ethic. Must have demonstrated ability and desire to work in production agriculture. Our business is unique in that it is 24/7/365 and all senior leaders must have work ethic and commitment to this requirement. Commitment to working non-traditional hours of evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must always be readily available or plan and schedule for backup in instances when not available.
· Trustworthiness. As a Senior Leader you are responsible for the operation and sustainability of this business. Trustworthiness for the care of our physical, monetary and human assets is essential.
· Dedication to Continuous Improvement. Iowa Select is a commodity based business and as such our business leaders must had demonstrated ability to improve production systems and financial performance. Must meet and improve upon defined business objectives and continuously measure performance against these objectives.
· Ability to Learn and Teach. Must have demonstrated ability to develop and implement training plans for all levels of direct and indirect reports plus cross functional business groups that you interact with. Includes technical aspects of individual job responsibilities but also training in Iowa Select leadership and core values.
· Demonstrated Leadership and Collaboration. In addition to leadership and responsibility for individual business unit, Senior Leaders must have ability to lead and collaborate across cross functional groups. Ability to collaborate, support and develop cross functional teams is essential.
· Time Management and Organizational Skills. Our business culture is fast paced, innovative with and dedication to continuous improvement. We are highly competitive, operate flat and lean from an organizational standpoint and because of our live animal units, we operate 24/7/365. Ability to be organized and manage your time is essential. You must balance the on-going day to day operational requirements with strategic planning and implementation.
· Respect. Although competitive and dedicated to continuous improvement, we operate in a culture of mutual respect and openness. Collaborative conflict with goal of challenging and improving the business and one another is encouraged. Disrespecting leadership, peers, or any Iowa Select Employee will not be tolerated. No individual within our business is more or less important than any other employee and we will operate and lead an environment that respects one another views and opinions. As a Senior Leader, you are responsible for instilling this culture and as such, are held to a higher level of conduct
Education/ Experience: At least five years previous experience in swine production operations is desired.
This position requires the supervisor to work closely with other managers, supervisors, production staff and other company employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practiced at all times. Computer literacy is important with competencies in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and Internet Explorer. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
This person must be a self-starter and be able to schedule tasks and supervise people. Thus, they must have initiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your resume. Please state Iowa Select Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
Or visit www.iowaselect.com/employment to apply.