PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Support production through on-boarding new employees. On-board new employees to Iowa Select Farms production system. Includes training on Iowa Select production processes, bio-security, safety, and production well-being policies. Will familiarize new employees with the expectations of ISF production practices, policies and culture. Collaborate with production and human resources staffs to achieve retention and turnover goals.
· Protect the company from risk through a proactive approach that may be in the form of: proper caretaker training, farm visits, and site assessments.
· Provide leadership of the collaborative effort between production management, human resources and production well-being to implement and innovative on-boarding program.
· Collaborate with peers to update training Power Point presentations routinely.
· Organize and conduct new employee classroom training.
· Assist with new employee paperwork.
· Conduct PQA Plus and TQA training sessions for new employees.
· Enter PQA and TQA certifications with the National Pork Board in a timely fashion.
· Schedule training farms and coordinate locations with new employees.
· Conduct on-farm training with new employees.
· Explain all aspects of biosecurity.
· Work with group on all aspects of production inside the farm.
· Evaluate new employees.
· Share evaluations of new employees with receiving farm managers and supervisors.
· Assess whether new employee would make a good fit for company.
· Assure new employees are ready for their assigned farm
· Directions to farm.
· Contact names and numbers for the farm.
· Convey training hours to payroll department/ farm managers at receiving location.
· Coordinate reimbursement for mileage when necessary
· Resolve employee issues through phone conversations and site visits.
· Report non-compliance issues to farm supervisor and the Director of Production Well-Being.
· Conduct training to develop techniques that will positively affect animal care and overall production. Topics include, but are not limited to:
o Proper animal handling
o Proper injection techniques
o Proper and timely euthanasia
o Identification/treatment of sick or compromised pigs
o Daily observations
· Evaluate overall feed and water system management in relationship to animal well-being.
· Assure site personnel have necessary supplies and tools to maintain compliance with animal care and handling policies.
· Lead group meetings/trainings using effective presentation techniques including handouts and PowerPoint Presentations.
· Adhere to and demonstrate ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times and partnering with Production Well-being team when incident occurs.
· Adhere to and demonstrate ISF bio-security policy at all times and fixing violation if issue is brought to light.
· Adhere to and demonstrate ISF safety policies and procedures at all times
· Train, test and empower all staff to be competent in proper care and handling techniques at all levels of production.
· Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
· Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
· Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to work by start time given.
· Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
· Collaborate with other departments within the company.
· Keep department, daily tasks, paperwork and people organized.
· Achieve consistent results.
· Listen. Take others ideas into consideration and incorporate where needed for self & system improvement
· Provide a unified leadership message with senior management.
· Be effective in conflict resolution by addressing conflict quickly
· Take action immediately by collaborating with appropriate departments when made aware of policy violations.
· Communicate and prioritize daily execution of tasks.
· Motivate others to accomplish goals and tasks.
· Responsible for development and training of employees by utilizing your resources and supervisors, asking for help where needed.
Education/ Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Animal agriculture or related field. At least 3 years work experience in swine production, training or auditing fields is preferred. Current PQA-Plus and/or TQA Advisor Certification (or the ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment).
Qualifications: Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to production sites. They must be able to travel occasionally for meeting and appointments. Candidate must be available for weekend and evening work when necessary.
This position requires the specialist to work closely with staff veterinarians, managers, supervisors, production staff and other company employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very important. This person should possess the ability to articulate well and communicate issues to a variety of audiences, from on-farm personnel to customers and consumers. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practiced at all times. Computer literacy is important with competencies in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and Internet Explorer. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
This person must be a self-starter, be detail oriented, and be able to schedule tasks and meet timelines and deadlines. Thus, they must have strong personal initiative, organization, and dependability. This person must also possess problem solving skills, creativity and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team. Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 40 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your resume. Please state Iowa Select Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
Or visit www.iowaselect.com/employment to apply.