Nursery/Grow Finish Research Manager South Dakota/Iowa
The Research Manager is directly responsible for managing the Sunterra Research facility, overseeing and conducting research trials at the facility and related facilities and to ensure that the projects are following company standard operating procedures and trial protocols while working with staff members and/or external parties.
Critical to the success of all research trials, this position has immediate responsibility for the implementation of research protocols and the daily care, maintenance and management of a research farm and farm equipment. Travel will be required to assist with activities at other research locations. The duties of this job require a high degree of skill in maintaining established standards of quality and accuracy. Drive, determination and a self-disciplined approach to achieving results that meet these established criteria are a necessity for successful job performance. At times, the work will require technical problem solving while working within approved organizational systems and technology. New ideas and concepts are important but will be carefully analyzed and tested before communication and adoption.
Position Responsibility for Research:
· Be an effective Sunterra Research Group team member on trial planning, trial requirements, implementation procedures and trial completion targets and follow-up as needed.
· Implement research protocols as defined
· Ordering and monitor accurate and timely feed transportation outlined in research protocols
· Maintain research equipment
· Collect data in an organized, detailed, and accurate manner
· Weigh pigs on a regular basis as indicated in the research protocol
· Input collected information into Excel and perform basic data summarization
· Adheres to the company’s confidentiality protocol
· Project, order and maintain proper inventory of research materials and necessary equipment
· Train and develop research personnel, interns and temporary help
· Coordinate hosting for visitors to research site
Position Responsibility for General Production:
· Continually work to improve processes and efficiencies, the company business plan and personal work goals
· Understand, follow, and educate others on the biosecurity policies at all facilities
· Ensures that projects meet Animal Care requirements
· Manages alarms or emergencies as they occur
· Responsible for the care, maintenance and management of assigned sites to include the following but not limited to:
o Inventory control feed, water, etc.
o Ordering and administration of medications, vaccinations and disease diagnosis
o Cost control and keeping site expenses under control
o Maintenance, site care, manure control and informing field operations of needed repairs
o Keeping the Health Team informed on a timely basis regarding scheduling, issues, time frames, commitments, production and human resource issues
o Upholding company image and promoting it inside and outside the organization
o Supporting and promoting company policies, procedures, and values.
o Barn preparation for new group of pigs
o Loading and unloading pigs for transport
o Counting pigs
o Data collection call in of production related information
o Monitor and adjust ventilation as needed
o Report information as requested (weekly, month end reports, etc.)
o Perform preventative maintenance of all equipment
Education, Training and Experience Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree in an Agricultural field or Vocational Education degree preferred
· Previous swine or livestock production experience, 1-2 years preferred
· Prior management experience, preferred.
· Basic computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Excel, required.
Mental and Physical Demands:
· Strong relationship building, persuasion, influence and conflict resolution skills required.
· Demonstrates a high level of professionalism and leadership skills.
· Ability to perform in highly interruptive conditions
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Effective communication skills and experience in exercising independent thinking and judgment
· Ability to manage time and priorities in a fast-paced changing environment is essential. Ability to solve complex problems
· Ability to stand on concrete for extended periods of time
· Ability to lift 50 lbs
Ability to push, pull, carry items on regular basis
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your cover letter and resume. Please state Sunterra Farms and the job title as the subject line of your email application.