PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work as a team member of Multiplication team to safely deliver the weaned pigs to their destination, ensure proper grounds, facility, and environmental maintenance to keep the farm biosecure; and help with caring for the animals on farm.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
· On specified wean days – load and transfer the barrows on to the commercial wean trailer, then load, haul, and unload gilts at the specified Multiplication Nursery while following all PWB and Biosecurity policies.
· Daily, walk-around the outside of the facility and ensure all fan shrouds, fan socks, curtains, cool cells, incinerator, and any other facility components are functioning properly and in good working order
· If damaged or not working, repair the necessary component if at all possible; if not possible communicate with farm manager and maintenance staff to ensure work ticket and repair are completed as soon as possible.
· Ensure all rodent bait stations are properly cared for, filled accordingly to rodent baiting schedule, and no harborage areas exist (i.e. feed on bin pads, weeds/grass growing near the buildings, etc.)
· Record feed inventories, switch feed bins, and assist with getting feed flowing as needed.
· Perform environmental and inventory readings as necessary – water, garbage/dumpster, manure lagoon, diesel, propane, and others as requested by manager.
· Ensure snow is cleared from the road throughout the Sow 29 facility so employees, ISF transportation, and feed deliveries can safely drive in and around the facilities as needed.
· Perform routine check-lists and light maintenence on the trucks, trailers, snow plow, tractor, generator, and other items as requested by farm manager or southern IA transportation dispatch.
· Daily, perform the outside responsibility of mortality removal and incineration while ensuring clean/dirty lines are respected and all biosecurity measures are met.
· As needed, clean incinerators and ensure incinerators are in good working order.
· Coordinate with farm manager on ash pick-up.
· Ensure the exterior site appearance is clean and neat including removal of any trash/debris; coordination with environmental on mowing, trimming, spraying, and rock/gravel delivery; and organization of the storage area and maintenance shed (Gen Shed).
· As needed pick-up and delivery semen and supplies (Afton & Osceola Warehouses).
· Ensure the dirty side of the shower to the entryway door (including the dirty side bathroom) is clean and organized.
RESPONSBILITIES OF ALL FARM EMPLOYEES
· Adhere to ISF production well-being policies at all times and collaborate with PWB team to ensure all employees follow and enforce ISF production well-being policies.
· Adhere to ISF biosecurity policies at all times and ensure direct reports are properly trained to ISF biosecurity policies.
· Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures. Wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
· The three key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the entire farm which also impacts incentive bonus payouts.
· Promote and demonstrate safe animal handling practices.
· Care and management of animals to ensure that:
· Animals are properly fed.
· Water is available.
· Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are properly treated.
· Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
· Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify when it is needed.
· Maintain accurate records using ISF protocols to complete necessary forms and electronic data.
· Specific to this role is the collection and filing of feed tickets and any other records to be kept on the dirty side of the farm.
· Order and dispense medications and vaccinations according to ISF protocols.
· Proper handling of chemicals (storage and application) and follow PPE requirements.
· Move animals (boars, sows, gilts, and piglets) using ISF safe handling policies.
· Provide feedback to farm manager.
· Receive, sort and pen incoming pigs.
· Assist with loading and unloading activities.
· Assist with month end inventories on animals and supplies.
· Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
· Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
· Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by given start time.
· Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
· Flexibility in hours during health and staffing challenges is required.
· Perform other tasks assigned by manager or supervisor
Bilingual: Not required
Education/ Experience: No experience necessary, but light maintenance background is preferred. Employee must have a good driving record.
This position requires the employee to work closely with managers, supervisors, production staff, and other employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practiced at all times. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
This person must be motivated and be able to follow directions and complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must have initiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 40 pounds, remove mortality weighing up to 300 lbs. with farm supplied tools, and climb over gates up to 48 inches in height. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your resume. Please state Iowa Select Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
Or visit www.iowaselect.com/employment to apply.