A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
• Do what’s right
• Deliver winning results
• Build collaborative teams
• Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
• Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
• Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
Manager, Animal Health
Location: Eastern or Western Manitoba
We are seeking an individual with the skills and knowledge required to successfully complement the MLAF Veterinary Team in overseeing the health and production of animals. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Animal Health.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Complete herd health visits at owned and contract swine production sites, representing all stages of production.
• Establish and maintain health plans for each site
• Build collaborative working relationships with production staff, nutritionists (internal and external providers), and others to improve health and production
• Provide leadership and accountability on adherence to biosecurity protocols
• Knowledge and support of company protocols for best practice production
• Accountable for annual budgets and benchmark health costs for all phases of production.
• Consultation with pharmaceutical vendors and support purchasing decisions
• Supervision of veterinary technician(s) if required • Sample and submit relevant diagnostics to respective Laboratories • Regional Travel to various barn sites within the operation of Maple Leaf Agri Farms
What we have to offer you: • Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America • Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business. • Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment • Defined Contribution Pension Plan • Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees • Employee Assistance Program
• A valid license to practice veterinarian medicine in Manitoba • Valid driver’s license • Understanding of swine diagnostic laboratory analyses, diseases and their treatments • Ability to determine and manage on-farm swine health within a budget • Exceptional verbal and written communication skills • Strong time management and organizational skills • Effective at building relationships with both internal and external stakeholders • Ability to work as a team with Hog Production, Operations, Nutrition, and other key departments at MLAF • Relevant experience medium to larger veterinary practice (porcine preferred) would be an asset • An ability to live and teach our Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Values
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job”button to email your resume. Please state Maple Leaf Agri-Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position. Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact Riley Keam, Manager, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.