PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To supervise of assigned wean-to-finish and grow-finish production sites to assure proper care is given to Iowa Select Farms’ swine. Junior supervisor will be given less spaces to supervise than a supervisor and responsibilities will be trained in steps.
· Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times and partnering with Production Well-being team when incident occurs.
· Adhere to ISF bio-security policy at all times and fixing violation if issue is brought to light.
· Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
· The 3 key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the entire farm which also impacts incentive payouts.
· Evaluate, discipline, and terminate employees in partnership with HR/ Supervisor.
· Assist with hiring (referrals, farm tours, etc.)
· Conduct site visits to ensure management team is giving proper care and management to animals and following all ISF animal well-being policies.
· Assure site managers have necessary training, supplies and tools to provide proper swine care.
· Work with site managers to manage environment and the environmental controls and train manager to troubleshoot ventilation issues.
· Work with site managers to monitor all nutrient storage facilities and to report issues immediately.
· Administration of ISF protocols for site maintenance and pig management.
· Instruct and train managers on proper swine drug administration: mixing directions, quantity for injection and withdrawal times to meet ISF protocols.
· Observe newly placed pigs when sites are filled and determine rejects and destroys. Communicate this information to appropriate managers and supervisors immediately.
· Monitor overall health of pigs and communicate with Staff Veterinarian and Senior Finishing Supervisor on what is happening in the field.
· Work with the transportation department on the efficient flow of pigs in and out of sites.
· Responsible to understand and troubleshoot alarm systems and calls and ensure a response is initiated for 100% of these calls, acting
as a backup to site managers on all alarm calls.
· Forecast, select and mark hogs for market.
· Perform snow removal at designated sites or when emergency situations arise.
· Solicit, interview and administer contracts to individuals needed to run production sites.
· Promote and demonstrate safe animal handling practices.
· Provide feedback to senior management.
· Able to run generator and portable generator correctly.
· Follow company guidelines for vehicle usage.
· Pick up and deliver supplies in a timely manner.
· Computer knowledge/ skills- able to run reports, data entry, email, word documents, excel documents, and able to navigate the tools
site to be able to find important company documents.
· Work with site managers to identify animals needing timely euthanasia.
· Complete euthanasia process according to ISF protocols.
· Understands daily production numbers and factors that impact those goals as well as the steps the farm is taking to achieve those goals.
· Understanding company production and incentive packages and motivates employees to achieve these results.
· Responsible for ensuring employees work in a safe manner and use personal protective equipment (PPE) when required, keeping employees motivated to perform at a high level to achieve production results and ensure all employees are being trained.
· Help management team create routines within the farm that result in passed audits.
· Help management team create and execute action plans based off audit results.
· Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
· Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
· Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by start time given.
· Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and management team.
· Flexibility in hours during health challenges and staffing challenges is required.
· Collaborate with other departments within the company.
· Keep daily tasks, paperwork and people organized.
· Achieve consistent results.
· Provide a unified leadership message with your managers.
· Be effective in conflict resolution by addressing conflict quickly to keep moral at farm high.
· Take action immediately by partnering with appropriate departments when made aware of policy violations.
· Communicate and prioritize daily execution of tasks.
· Motivate others to accomplish goals and tasks.
· Responsible for development and training of employees by utilizing your resources and supervisors, asking for help where needed.
· Provide constructive and motivating feedback on employee’s performance and communicate with farm manager regarding this feedback.
· Timely documentation utilizing MEP tools.
· Other duties as specified by management.
Education/ Experience: Previous experience in swine production operations is
This position requires the junior supervisor
to work closely with other managers, supervisors, production staff and other
company employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very
important. Direct contact with animals
will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood
and practiced at all times. Computer literacy is important with competencies in
Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and Internet Explorer. The employee must be able to, with or without
accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirements of this job
This person must be a self-starter and be
able to schedule tasks and supervise people. Thus, they must have initiative,
organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the ability to
lift up to 50 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well
as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects,
tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach
with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Click on the BLUE “Apply for this Job” button to email your resume. Please state Iowa Select Farms and the job title as the subject of your email application.
Or visit www.iowaselect.com/employment to apply.