The Maschhoffs, the largest family-owned hog production network in North America, is currently seeking a breed-to-wean Sow Farm Manager in Tell City, Indiana.
Reports to: Production Manager
Job Overview: This role leads a team of animal caretakers with accountability for the financial and biological performance of a BTW farm. The position establishes team excellence in executing standard work, operational efficiency, asset management, and driving results while managing change innovation and driving continuous improvement. This role expands the capability and capacity of the team through effective hiring, staffing, and fostering a culture of personal leadership, development of leadership, technical and animal management
competencies and empowering caretakers to exercise business judgment.
Job Duties & Accountabilities
Typical Duties of a Farm Manager, Breed-to-Wean Production Operations include:
– Manage the full profit & loss and a multi-million dollar asset base with responsibility for driving profitability of the farm through lowering cost of production and increasing quality and volume of wean pigs shipped.
– Develop leadership and technical skills of a team normally consisting of 8 or more Team Leads and/or Production Technicians on a farm larger than 2500 head mated sows and ensures the Performance Management system is properly executed
– Participate in the development of annual operating goals, human resource needs, and farm business plans, including review operating costs and performance for production farms within assigned scope of responsibility.
– Monitor, review, and analyze biological and financial performance for root cause of issues, develop effective countermeasures and execute plans to restore performance.
– Oversee recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, and development of new team members, in alignment with company policies for hiring, staffing, discipline, and terminations.
– Promote safe work habits, a safe working environment, and report all work related injuries.
– Coordinate and manage all farm inputs including, but not limited to, air, feed, water, labor, gilts, medications, supplies, and fuel.
– Ensure the implementation of BTW standard operating procedures, technologies, and other innovations to improve production and environmental stewardship through direct training and
– Implement individual pig care practices to maintain the health and well-being of all animals including owning, monitoring, and directing all practices that promote Bio-Security in coordination with Health Services.
– Responsible for identifying all major capital repairs, routine repairs, and maintaining a preventative maintenance program.
– Provide leadership and development for a team responsible for genetic improvement and implementation of the company genetic strategy including management of genetic line inventories, execution of genetic protocols, single sire mating plans, accurate sow and piglet identification, data collection and record keeping as defined by the Quality Management System.
– Management of the internal Gilt Development Unit (GDU) including animal growth, gilt selection, and marketing.
High School diploma required. Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, Agriculture or related field preferred.
Five years management experience required. Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for two years of management experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1) Knowledge of
– Livestock/swine management and handling
– Standard maintenance procedures
– Basic understanding of how to operate computer hardware and software, including MS Office, and Internet
2) Ability to
– Work independently, as well as being a team player
– Monitor and develop subordinates to insure smooth operation of the farm
– Desire to learn new skills
– Use production records to facilitate improvements
– Confront direct reports and hold people accountable when necessary
– Understand company vision and strategy
3) Skill in
– Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
– Application of company tools for leadership development and learning
– Building effective teams and motivating them to achieve high performance
– Optimize breeding farm productivity
Please apply ONLINE ONLY by clicking HERE. You will be redirected to The Maschhoffs job search page. Please search for Requisition Number: 60561